Partner, Hong Kong
Matt advises financial institutions, investment banks and other clients regarding a wide range of private and regulatory disputes. Matt joined Allen & Overy in March 2003 and was seconded to Allen & Overy’s Hong Kong office from 2006-2009 where he gained local qualification. He was subsequently seconded to a major investment bank in London where he gained particular experience dealing with regulatory investigations. In September 2012 Matt transferred to Allen & Overy’s Hong Kong office to join the litigation and contentious regulatory team there. Matt advises clients in respect of contentious regulatory investigations and private causes of action. In the regulatory space, he has particular experience advising clients in the context of potential cross border market abuse, systems and controls concerns and self reporting obligations. Matt has advised a global financial institution on a significant regulatory benchmark investigation across Asia Pacific and has relevant experience in matters relating to LIBOR and other benchmarks. Outside of the regulatory sphere, Matt has particular experience in advising clients in the context of disputes arising from derivative, syndicated loan and asset management complaints. Matt also has extensive trial experience, having acted among other matters for six former non-executive directors of Equitable Life in defending one of the largest claims ever brought before the Commercial Court.
Posts by Matt Bower
- The Hong Kong “Manager In Charge” regime – a new approach?
- Revisiting cooperation with the Hong Kong SFC: A carrot not a stick?
- Hong Kong’s Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data – the end of the paper dragon?
- Hong Kong Court of First Instance confirms SFC’s powers to seize digital devices and demand passwords
- SFC Enforcement Trends
- Regulatory focus on senior management accountability in Asia – a victim of Covid-19 coronavirus?
Unsubscribe from the blog
- The French Anti-Corruption Agency’s 2019 Report: Key Takeaways
- Part State-owned enterprises and Politically Exposed Persons
- “Strong and prompt enforcement” under Nikhil Rathi, new Chief Executive of the FCA
- The UK FCA shines a light on personal account dealing
- The French anti-corruption policy: more settlements with corporations and harsher prosecutions against individuals
The French Anti-Corruption Agency has published its annual report, setting out its main actions over the course of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Nikhil Rathi, the new Chief Executive of the UK FCA in Autumn 2020, gave evidence last week to the Treasury Committ… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
The French Minister of Justice has issued a circular to prosecutors setting out the criminal policy in the fight ag… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
The French anti-corruption policy: more settlements with corporations and harsher prosecutions against individuals - aoinvestigationsinsight.com/the-french-ant…
'Regulatory focus on senior management accountability in Asia – a victim of Covid-19 coronavirus?' - our latest blo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…